Re: Overtime, Pre-Booked and Callout Enhancements
Attention: All Members
As part of ongoing efforts to address the urgent staffing crisis at E-Comm, the Employer and Union have signed a Letter of Understanding (LOU) agreeing to enhancements to the collective agreement’s overtime provisions.
The terms of the LOU apply to overtime shifts retroactively starting July 15 and ending September 30, 2021, and to all members of CUPE Local 8911 including Full-Time, Part-Time, and Auxiliary, including job shares and student employees.
The Letter of Understanding sets out the following terms:
- From July 15, 2021, to September 30, 2021, all Employees will be paid double (2x) time for all overtime. This is an enhancement to terms of the collective agreement under which time and one-half (1.5x) is paid. Employees will continue to receive double time and one-half (2.5x) the regular rate of pay for overtime in excess of twenty-two hours in a pay period.
- From July 15, 2021, to September 30, 2021, all Employees will be paid one hour call out pay at double (2x) time for all overtime regardless of when the shift is booked. This does not apply for missed meal breaks.
- After September 30, 2021, the above enhancements will no longer apply, and we will revert back to the terms of the Collective Agreement.
- Overtime for Auxiliaries shall be those hours worked in excess of the regular daily hours or in excess of 77 hours bi-weekly paid at double time.
The past few weeks have been difficult with many working without breaks, cancelling vacations, working extended shifts, and more. We know that these enhancements will not make up for the pain and suffering experienced by those working through these difficult conditions. We continue to call for the Employer to take urgent action to address the staffing situation. The stress we have been under is immense and it is important that all members make themselves aware of the resources available for support during these difficult times. Please consider accessing the resources below:
WorkSafeBC Critical Incident Response Program:
- Hours of operation: The Pager is monitored 7 days a week, 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. If you call them after hours, you will be responded to the next day after 9 a.m.
- Phone (toll-free answering service): 1.888.922.3700
- Requirements: The event must have happened at work and within the last three weeks.
- WorkSafeBC will provide free Critical Incident Stress Debriefings and up to five individual sessions for each person.
Homewood Health – Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Provides support services to all employees and their families, which includes counselling.
- There are a variety of E-Courses and tools available in areas of Crisis, Grief, Finances, and Lifestyle
- Check out their website, their app or call 1-800-663-1142 for more information on their services. *If you are an operational employee who needs support urgently, Homewood Health encourages you to mention that you are a first responder to their intake triage. https://homewoodhealth.com/individuals/services/efap
Self-Assessment Tools – BC First Responders’ Mental Health
Self-assessment tools help you look at your mental health or wellness. These tests look for signs or symptoms that can show up in some mental health issues. They can also help you look at patterns of feelings or patterns of substance use.
Psychological Services Extended Health Benefits
CUPE 8911 members who are part of the benefits plan have a benefit maximum of $1000 per year for either a Psychologist, Social Worker, Clinical Counsellor, Marriage and Family Therapist, Psychoanalyst, or Psychotherapist (this does not apply to Auxiliaries or those who are not a part of Group Benefits – a previous email inadvertently stated that this applies to all members). You can select in the filter option on these websites “first responder” to find a first responder practitioner:
In addition to other improvements, the Union is calling on the Employer to urgently enhance and implement additional psychological services and other wellness initiatives to increase supports available to all members. In the meantime, please continue supporting and checking in on each other. This additional support has yet to come from management but let us stay true to who we are and look out for each other while we work hard to get the backup we need. You are the true heroes in this emergency. You are the true heroes that are stepping up to the plate to save lives. You are the true heroes that come into work day in and day out, getting the job done.
If you have any questions about the changes to overtime compensation, please reach out to the Union directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Furthermore, if you have any concerns in relation to working conditions, policies, contract provisions, or any other matter please reach out to us directly at the email@example.com email address. If we do not receive reports of Collective Agreement violations or about how things are being implemented on the floor, we cannot take action to resolve them. The sooner we hear about an issue the faster we can take action.