“I believe 9-1-1 operators in British Columbia deserve better working conditions, protections for mental health, and adequate staffing.”
Normally we are the lifeline to the public, but now we need your help. Currently many 9-1-1 operators in B.C. are experiencing:
- High turnover and chronic vacancies of the profession throughout Canada;
- An astonishingly low retirement rate (97% of emergency dispatchers in North America will not work in this field long enough to retire);
- Increasing workload and an overwhelming amount of overtime, that results in burnout and major increases in sick time;
- Increased exposure to traumatic incidents with an increased workload (32% of 9-1-1 calls can create high stress in operators which can affect mental health)
WE ARE THE EMERGENCY DISPATCHERS OF B.C.
We represent the 9-1-1 Operators and Support Staff at E-Comm 9-1-1 in the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. We provide the initial 9-1-1 Call Answer, Police and Fire Department Dispatch Services, and the associated Support Services.
- 400+ 9-1-1 OPERATORS
- 80+ SUPPORT STAFF
- 99% BC’S 9-1-1 CALL VOLUME
- 33 POLICE AGENCIES
- 40 FIRE DEPARTMENTS
- 25 REGIONAL DISTRICTS
We are the friend talking the teen out of ending their life.
We sent help during your first car accident.
We were there during the worst day of your life.
We hear the screams of people we will never meet, nor forget.
We hope for the best, while preparing for the worst.
We are here when you need us and still here when you don’t.
We are more than just a number.